Special Educational Needs

The Oaks Learning Federation SEN Information Report.

As a Federation of Church Schools, we are committed to offering an inclusive curriculum and breaking down barriers to ensure the best possible progress for all of our pupils whatever their needs or abilities.

How do the schools know if children need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

If your child’s class teacher thinks your child needs extra help to achieve well at school, they will talk to you about this to explore the issues further.

The school may identify children with SEN through formal assessments, such as:

o Early Years Foundation Stage progress and attainment (Year R)

o Required national assessments (Years 1 and 2)

o Regular school tracking and assessments (all school years)

The schools may also informally use:

o Classroom and playground observations

o Informal conversations with the children

If you have concerns or feel your child needs extra help, it is useful to talk to the class teacher in the first instance. Following this discussion, and with your contribution, we will create a plan that best supports your child. This may include:

o Liaison with previous settings, e.g. Early Years settings and schools

o Liaison with external agencies, e.g. health care professionals or speech and language therapists

Any concerns about children’s additional needs are overseen by the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) who coordinates and guides staff to make provision for children with special educational needs.

How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how you will help me to support my child’s learning?

The Oaks Federation will meet with you on a regular basis to discuss and review your child’s progress. We have an open door policy and welcome you to discuss any concerns, but this may be supplemented by:

o Informal conversations at the end of a school day

o An appointment at a mutually convenient time

o Parent consultations

o Meetings to review your child’s plan

At each step w e w ill involve you in your child’s plan and support you to help your child at home. At each step, the class teacher is likely to suggest additional activities that you could do with your child.

How will the school staff support my child?

The school staff will use different approaches to support your child, in partnership with you, in a variety of ways. This will include:

o teaching input through excellent targeted classroom teaching

o ensuring all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

o planning for your child’s individual needs to meet their own targets

o ensuring different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning

o progress will be recorded and shared with you.

o specific group work

If it will support your child, the school will work in partnership with Local Authority services, such as Specialist Teacher Advisory (e.g. for hearing, visual and physical), Behaviour Support Team or Education Psychology Service

You will always be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional. This w ill help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

How will the curriculum at the schools be matched to my child’s needs?

The school w ill assess each child’s current levels of attainment on entry in order to ensure that they build upon the pattern of learning and experience already established during the child’s previous experience. If your child already has an identified special educational need we will discuss this with you and the child’s class teacher w ill use this information to :

o provide starting points for the development of an appropriate curriculum.

o identify and focus attention on action to support the child within the class

o use the assessment processes to identify any learning difficulties

o ensure ongoing observation and assessment provide regular feedback about the child’s achievements and experiences to form the basis for planning the next steps of the child’s learning

o involve parents in implementing a joint learning approach at home.

How is the decision made about what type of and how much support my child will receive?

The decisions made and resources allocated are on an individual child basis according to level of additional need and the rate of progress being made. This is reviewed regularly and in consultation with parents.

The type of support may include:

o different learning materials or special equipment

o some group or individual support

o extra adult time as a planned intervention

Your child will require different levels of support at different times, so how much support your child receives will be dependent on individual need; this will be through an ongoing discussion with parents and carers.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

At the Oaks CE Learning Federation we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally, plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve. In the first instance, class teachers provide an education that provides pupils with opportunities to explore and develop their own values and beliefs, spiritual awareness, high standards of personal behaviour and a positive, caring attitude towards other people. Children’s views and ideas are welcomed, encouraged and valued. When necessary, the school ELSA is able to further support your child.

Our behaviour policy is based on the Christian values of our schools. We believe that it is the right of every child to feel safe, secure and valued at school. We have a positive attitude towards behaviour management and we believe that everyone in the school should be polite, kind, thoughtful and show respect for each other and the environment.

We ensure that all medical information is treated confidentially by the responsible manager and staff. All administration of medicines is arranged and managed by the Head of Learning and is overseen on a day to day basis by class based staff alongside the office staff. Designated school staff have first aid training and where necessary will be personalised to your child.

What training will be provided for staff supporting children with SEN?

With regard to Special Educational Needs the Federation makes an annual audit of training needs for all staff taking into account each school’s priorities as well as personal professional development. Particular support will be given to NQTs and other new members of staff. The SENCO takes responsibility for prioritising the training needs of staff.

We have staff trained as an ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) who receives regular support from the Educational Psychologist. All Teaching Assistants have had training in Speech and Language development from the Speech and Language Therapists. All staff have had training in delivering reading, spelling and phonics programmes. The Maths Leader oversees the use of Numicon – a specialist maths resource.

How accessible is the school (indoors and outdoors)?

All schools are accessible for children with physical difficulties; however some areas may be more difficult to access e.g. outdoor play areas. However, reasonable modifications and adjustments will be made where possible to meet individual needs. The schools all have accessible toilets. Car parking is restricted at all schools.

If it will support your child, the school will work in partnership with Local Authority services, such as Specialist Teacher Advisory (e.g. for hearing, visual and physical).

How are parent/carers currently involved in the school? How can I get involved and who can I contact for further information?

As we recognise that parents hold key information and knowledge, we encourage your contribution to the shared view of a child’s needs and the best ways of supporting them. All parents of children with SEN will be treated as partners and supported to play an active and valued role in their children’s education.

Children and young people with SEN often have a unique knowledge of their own needs and their views about what sort of help they would like to help them make the most of their education will be ascertained. They will be encouraged to participate in all the decision-making processes and contribute to the assessment of their needs, the review and transition processes.

In the first instance, you should contact your child’s class teacher to increase your involvement.

What steps should I take if I have a concern about the school’s SEND provision?

The child’s teacher and Headteacher will work closely with parents at all stages in his/her education and should be the first port of call in case of any difficulty. Parents of pupils with SEN or disabilities whose concerns cannot be resolved by the usual internal procedures can request independent disagreement resolution. The school will make further information about this process available on request

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school and transfer to a new school?

We have excellent links with our local preschools and staff work together to make sure your child has a smooth transition into school. There are a series of visits to the pre-schools by the class teacher, Head of Learning and other key staff. The children at pre-school also join us for different events during the year. We have a meeting for new parents during the summer term and also your child’s class teacher will arrange a visit to you in your home at a date and time that is mutually convenient before they start school. This gives the child and yourself a chance to get to know the teacher in surroundings where they feel comfortable.

We encourage and will support all children to visit new settings, and always welcome the staff from those settings to visit and spend time in our schools. We work closely with our feeder schools. Extra support is always provided for children who find transition difficult or worrying. This may include extra visits and social stories.

Where can I get further information about services for my child?


SEND Guide for Parents

For impartial Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) in Hampshire please contact:

www.hampshiresendiass.co.uk or telephone: 0808 164 5504.