Year 1 (Lapwings)
Welcome to the Lapwings Class
Welcome to the new school year!
All the Lapwings are very enthusiastic with their learning and have found their way round the classroom very confidently.
How to help at home:
Mathematics: The ability to explore numbers and number patterns are key skills for your child in Year 1, so any number recognition or counting games with numbers will support your child’s maths this term. Working with money is one of the most important tools to aid not only counting but also addition and subtraction. Giving your children this experience with money will be very helpful. In addition to this playing number games with your child will reinforce all the mathematical skills, the old favourites like Ludo, Snakes and ladders, Dominoes etc are still valuable aids.
ICT and computers: Lapwings will be using the laptops this year they have already started learning about logins and researching on the internet.
We would also like to remind you that:
- PE kits are needed in school everyday as we will have not only timetabled PE times but also extra outdoor sessions. Please can you ensure that your child has a pair of plimsolls (that fit) in their PE kit especially handy for outdoor PE.
Library books can be borrowed and returned any day. Please let us know if your child hasn’t changed their book so we can sort it out for them. The library book gives you the opportunity to share a book of their choice with them. The value of an adult modelling reading and the enjoyment of stories being read to them cannot be underestimated therefore these books are for you to share with your child. Please support your child in this way as much as possible. Children will be allowed to take up to 2 books out per week and this will be done with an adult from the class. Please do not return the books to the library yourself as they need to be scanned back properly on the system. The books can be returned in their book bags.
- Coloured banded books will be the books that your child can read to you, these can be changed as frequently as possible.
Home Challenge will be most Fridays to be returned by the following Thursday however there will be the odd challenge that lasts longer than a week. If there are any challenges that you would like explained in more detail please do drop in for a chat. Please be as creative as you like.
- Talk homework will continue this year and at times will replace a Home Challenge. Don’t forget it doesn’t have to be any longer than 10 minutes. Children will come home with a sticker giving details of the topic.e.g What can you see out of your window?
- Please provide a named water bottle containing water and as we are striving to be a healthy school.
- We would like to continue the parent reading sessions that were started in Swallows. If you have 10 minutes to spare on a Tuesday at 2.45 please come along and read a story to a group of children. If you are interested pop in and let us know.
Please do not hesitate to come in before or after school, if you have any questions or want to see any of your children’s learning as the team is happy to chat with you.
Here’s to a successful Year 1!
Mrs Jan Thomas, Mrs Cerys Davies and Mrs Steph Rose
The Lapwings Team